JGU Leadership Project
In December 2010, the project proposal “Shaping Change – Developing JGU Leadership” submitted by The Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz won the call for proposals sponsored by the Donors’ Association for the Promotion of Sciences and Humanities in Germany (Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft) and the Heinz Nixdorf Foundation.
Our project team began work in early 2011 with the challenge of developing and implementing a new leadership culture, that builds on the consensus decision-making and participative structures currently in place at the University. The two aspects “participation” and “expert culture” form the basis for the related measures of the project, which include:
- the development of general leadership principles.
- the conceptual design and implementation of activities supplemental to existing personnel development measures.
- the lasting incorporation of the new leadership culture into the existing culture of all departments, faculties, panels, boards, committees and levels of the hierarchy of the University.
- Develop general leadership principles for the administrative and teaching staff, while involving as many managerial staff members and groups in the developmental process as possible.
- Ensure the acceptance of the new leadership culture throughout the University and the integration into managerial staff development programs.
- Ensure the sustainability of the cultural change by establishing long-term structures, which will continue to steer the change-process and to adapt to future requirements after the current project has ended.
On the following pages we would like to present the structure, content, goals and current results of the JGU Leadership Project. Above all we would like to invite and encourage you to take an active part in this cultural change project. Every employee of JGU has the opportunity to personally participate in the development of a new leadership culture in the years to come. We look forward to working with you on this exciting project.